Get ready to learn about the power of direct response copywriting from one of the masters of the craft, Scott Martin, founder of Scott Martin Copywriting. He joins me on today’s Go For Launch podcast.
Scott has been a professional copywriter for his entire career. He was born in America, spent his formative years in England, then moved back to America where he lived in Charlotte, North Carolina for 27 years. He now lives in Aspen, Colorado.
He has taken detours into corporate communications, magazine publishing, and writing books but he has always written copy.
Today, he’s a direct response copywriter. His clients include direct marketing giants like Agora, The Motley Fool, and Ryan Deiss’s Digital Marketer. But he also writes for much smaller businesses including a local pub. He has helped this small establishment build an opt-in email database of 2,500 people.
Scott is a member of the Titans marketing group run by former boardroom executive Brian Kurtz.
He conservatively estimates that his copy has generated over $50 million in revenue in the last four years. One of his clients was named the fastest growing business in the Charlotte area by The Charlotte Business Journal.
He’s written 17 books, including a book about Caddyshack, published by Taylor Trade.
Right now, he’s focusing on direct response copy—plus he just launched two websites with resources for direct marketers and direct response copywriters.
Topics we discuss include:
- How Scott was spurred to become an entrepreneur after being laid off as a corporate copywriter
- How he decided to write the book The Book of Caddyshack: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the Greatest Movie Ever Made and what it was like to track down some of the people who made the movie
- The basics of the craft of copywriting
- Specifics of Scott’s specialty, direct response copywriting
- Why direct response copywriting is critical to selling products and services
- Scott’s process for engaging with his direct response clients
- Why testimonials are so vital (“like snow at a ski resort”) and how to improve them
- Why Scott does not write branding ads and branding copy (and how these differ from direct response copy)
- The origins of direct response copywriting (in the 13th century!)
- Some of the reasons why it has remained powerful and effective for thousands of years
- A timeless example from the Gary Bencivenga, considered the greatest living direct response copywriter
- Other masters of neurolinguistic programming
- How to measure the ROI of direct response copy
- A great exercise to hone your direct response copywriting skills
Thanks for listening!
LeadPages let’s you launch and test landing pages, pop-up sign up forms and more. Find out why it is the industry’s leading solution for landing pages.
Increase your visibility, thought leadership and lead generation efforts by being a guest on top podcasts. Let the experts at Interview Valet propel your business to the next level.
SiteGround is a top web host for startups — with plans starting at just $3.95 per month.
The Ultimate Business Checklist will give you all the steps you need to take when starting your company, including estimated costs and timeframes.
The Aspen School of Copywriting (direct response video tutorials and resources from Scott)
[author title=”About The Author” author_id=””]
Join our newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email—and
a free copy of our Ultimate Business Checklist.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."